Sunday, February 19, 2012

brick and mortar...


Twenty years ago when I first moved to the house I still live in, we would pass a dairy farm with its cow smells and green pastures and drive in a round-a-bout way to arrive home. The stars would shine bright in the darkness and the crickets chirp could be heard.
A lot has changed, buildings are all around, streets have grown wider, parking lots have take over natures habitat and you have to drive out into the remote area to even see the long ago bright stars.
Lately I am reminded of the nature that hangs on in spite of the ever growing brick and mortar. A lone woodpecker who wakes me with its "rat-a-tat-tat" on a near by tree keeps me reminded of the animals and wildlife that adapt and refuse to be taken over by man. It's a nice sound to hear first thing in the morning before I start my day. Before I awake and see the cars racing by and the building that glare at me across the street. It helps me center myself, not in the hustle and bustle of everyday but in the quiet and peacefulness that only nature can provide.

No comments:

Post a Comment