Saturday, July 23, 2011

Time

Time is an unusual commodity. It cannot be saved. You can't stockpile time like wood for the stove or food for the winter. It can't be seen, heard, touched, tasted or smelled.
Time is elusive, it is easy to ignore. That doesn't bother time at all. Time is perfectly content to remain hidden until you are out of it.
Time is a nonrenewable resource. If your out of wood you can chop some more, out of money you can earn a little extra, out of love, there is still hope, out of health, it can often be restored. But when your out of time, that's it. When this minute is gone, it's gone.


Time is always ticking whether we are aware of it or not. Being fully present for the moments in my life holds me responsible for what I want to do with them. I have to admit I let A lot of them slip by and many are wasted. Sometimes I take them for granted and think "oh, I'll have more tomorrow" or the times when I wanted to tell someone how I feel or what they mean to me I choose not to and then the opportunity is lost. Sometimes I feel like I let myself and others down, that I've wasted most of my fifty years on planet earth. But what have I really wasted if I've loved, learned, laughed, shared, and lived life. Maybe time isn't about watching each moment tick away but maybe more about just being... and being fully present. Knowing your doing the best that you can and when you know better you'll do better.

No comments:

Post a Comment