Sunday, December 5, 2010

Gingerbread...

It's that time of year again!

Ten plus years ago I took a "decorate a Gingerbread house" class from a store called The Farmers Wife. I was there for over three hours decorating (along with everyone else) and just fell in LOVE. It brought me joy and made me happy and there, an idea was born - why not make other people happy too. So I started making gingerbread houses, cookies and an assortment of other items that could be made with gingerbread (the ideas were endless) and selling them. I did birthday parties, holiday parties, gift baskets etc. I advertised at Christmas in Davidson by providing free gingerbread cookies for anyone to decorate and displayed my house's. Over the years the business grew by word of mouth and became too big to do out of my home. I needed to make a decision, open a store, rent space in a commercial kitchen to be able to expand or to stop altogether. I decided to stop, only I have never really stopped. I thought I was done with it but it was not done with me. People pop up every Christmas season and want gingerbread. So this year I have decided to take the challenge and perceive it in a new and different way. To see it as a art that leaves lasting memories. As a way to give back and put a smile on a lot of faces. To enjoy the process until it decides "it's" done with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment